HCV Homeownership Program
The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Homeownership Program is offered to eligible participants of PCHA’s HCV (Section 8) program. The Homeownership program allows first time homeowners to use their voucher assistance to help meet monthly homeowner expenses. The subsidy received will no longer make payments to a landlord but to a mortgage company.
Current HCV participants who are interested in joining the program must meet the basic eligibility requirements:
- Be a participant of the HCV Program (Section 8) for a minimum of one year and in good standing with PCHA. (All port-ins must be renting with PCHA for a minimum of 1 year before being eligible for Homeownership.)
- Must be enrolled and participating in the Family Self Sufficiency Program (Elderly/disabled applicants are still required to enroll.)
- Must be a first-time home buyer (No interest in any property in the last 3 years.)
- Disabled/Elderly Income Requirement—must be receiving the minimum of SSI per month (Head of household must be disabled/elderly. Children and spouse’s benefits do not qualify.)
- Non-disabled/Non-elderly Income Requirement—must be working full time on the same job for 12 consecutive months. (32 hours per week at minimum wage)
Once the HCV participant has met preliminary eligibility requirements, they will be required to participate in homeownership counseling sessions to learn more about home buying and financing. Additional requirements will apply before a voucher to search for a home is given.
Homeownership Vouchers are currently available on a first come, first served basis, until they are filled. If interested, please complete and return the Family Self Sufficiency Interest Form below. For additional questions, see the FAQs or contact 727-443-7684 ext. 3046.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. Can I be a part of the Homeownership Program without a Voucher? No.
2. Is there a term of assistance for the program? Yes:
- Fifteen (15) years of assistance for mortgages twenty (20) years or longer.
- Ten (10) years of assistance for mortgages less than twenty (20) years.
- No term of assistance for disabled or elderly as long as income eligible.
3. Where can I purchase a home? Anywhere in Pinellas County
4. What type of properties can I purchase?
- The unit must be under construction or already existing.
- Must be a single family home, or a singly dwelling unit in a condominium or cooperative. Mobile homes are not eligible.
5. Are there any restrictions to the unit? Yes. The home must pass a HQS inspection and an independent home inspection must also be conducted before we approve the home.
6. How much will PCHA pay towards the mortgage? The payment standard for your voucher size will be used to calculate your portion.
7. Can I port to PCHA directly into the Homeownership Program? No. You must be renting with PCHA for a minimum of a year before being eligible.
8. Can I use my VA Home Loan with the Homeownership Program? No. the VA Home Loan and Homeownership Program assistance cannot be combined.
9. Does being elderly or disabled give me a preference towards receiving a Homeownership Program voucher? No.